Thursday, December 6, 2007

Sean Taylor...I don't understand

I have avoided touching on this topic long enough, and it's been on my mind. As I read the articles,day by day I grow more incredulous. And, it prompts me to say I don't understand.

I don't understand how people can't take the time to think ahead. Over the past weeks, when I turn on the news I see people that are involved in life altering situations. And, I wonder if they had any clue that when they awoke from sleep that their day would be like this.

Washington Redskins Safety, Sean Taylor was killed in his own home. Victim of what Miami-Dade police said, "was a botched burglary." When the details were released, and the police stated that this home was broken into and a knife was left on his bed 8 days prior to the November 26th shooting, but they did not think the two incidents were related. I thought they were undeniable idiots. I don't understand how someone could say that this was a random burglary...that coincidentally happened 8 days ago, too.

I don't claim to be the smartest person. But, here is where my New Yorker sense kicks in. Someone breaks into my house, rummages through my things, maybe takes some things, but, leaves a knife on my bed. I personally take offense to that. A knife on my bed, in my mind, is a threat on my life. Which I speculate, was the way that Mr. Taylor took it given the fact that he kept a machete next to the bed. Miami-Dade police took it as nothing. Okay, they probably had better things to do that day, who knows.

Hindsight is twenty-twenty, but I strongly believe that it should have been taken more seriously. Secondly, I think Miami-Dade police should stop publicly making themselves look stupid. For the police to have to be told by the accused that yes, they were the same people that were there 8 days earlier is appalling. I, and I assume many other people (even those without my special New Yorker senses) alike knew that tidbit from the beginning. I don't understand why that flew over their heads.

Finally, the biggest I don't understand of all. Why are the police keep saying, the shooting was unintentional. That's what the reports are, that's what the suspects say, they didn't know that anybody would be home, on and on. Why did any one have a gun? Why did anyone have a knife? You are carrying personal protection to do someone else harm? You break into a residence late Sunday night, early Monday morning? A lot of people I know, especially those who have a job, are most likely to be home on that day during that time. If not Sean Taylor any of the other residents of that home. This was not unintentional; for you to return to the scene of a crime to repeat the crime again, it is BOLD. This is the definition of you have some nerve. And now, they're scared.

Four suspects, who are babies as far as I am concerned, on suicide watch. I don't get it. Here I am being a New Yorker again, Brooklyn to be exact. Your ass was bold, thinking up this plan, driving across town, kicking in bedroom doors, and shooting a man. Where did all this boldness go? Why would suicide cross your mind? You scared now? Where was that fear when you were plotting to take something that did not belong to you? While you were thinking about getting ill gotten gains, did you think about a plan B? What would you do if something went wrong? There were four of them, somebody should have been able to talk somebody out of it or see the potential flaw in the plan, come up with a better one, explore another option. I have no sympathy for them. I don't understand why anyone would.

No comments: