Monday, December 10, 2007

Wrong is Wrong, But We're Only Talking About Dogs.

I may make a few enemies, in fact, I know I will. Brace yourself, former Atlanta Falcon's star Michael Vick, was given a 23 month sentence for his role in dogfighting events on his property. Two years for killing half a dozen or more dogs. Wrong is wrong, right is right, we are all God's creatures (if you believe in God), but we are talking about dogs here. Give me a break! All the manpower, family/friends turning state's evidence to bring down bad man Michael Vick because he killed some dogs. Worthy of federal prosecution, for some dogs. Discussions, debates, and blogs for some dogs? Had he killed the two "friends" that snitched, yes I said it, SNITCHED on him, he would of gotten less attention and more understanding from the public. You do know that society recognizes that retaliating against snitches is an understandable cultural phenomenon that is crippling the black community that white people can save us from. Excuse me let me step off my soap box for a second. Michael Vick did not immediately roll over like a good boy when they asked him, "did you kill those dogs?" Consequently he was punished and had a judge shake his finger at him and say, "you should apologize once again to the millions of people who look up to you." Half the aforementioned million are probably saying two years for some dogs!

Dogfighting is illegal. Yes, I know. So is marijuana use. But do you know that the IRS and the CIA will employ you if you have used marijuana in your past, as long as you have been clean for a year? That's a fact. Check any Federal Government application. So Michael Vick could have been a Tax Auditor or Special Agent had he not killed those damned dogs.

Funny how society seems to put more value on the life of animals than of people. The Humane Society fights hard for animals to have quality care. But, our social services don't fight that hard for the humane treatment of people. In Maryland, this year, 2007, a woman left five children home alone in utter filth with a dog. The officer responding to the scene said the squalor was the worst he had seen in more than two decades in law enforcement. The woman faced charges for the children carrying a maximum penalty of 30 days in jail for each charge; the charges involving the dog carried a maximum penalty of 90 days. 30 days for a human 90 days FOR A DOG? See why I said Vick should have killed the people? He may have even been able to claim so form of insanity, no insanity pleas for dogfighting though.

I am not advocating the killing of anything. But, I enjoy a steak, chicken, fish, and have eaten other living things. I understand that as a society we must adhere to the law. I just wish the law had a little bit more perspective. There are people killing people more often than dogs. Spend more time investigating other crimes and jailing people that are really going to harm me. People that may kill me. If I had to choose between letting someone kill my dog or kill the stranger standing next to me, I'll let you kill my dog. Hands down, without hesitation, all I'm saying is a dog?? Seriously, a damn dog?

1 comment:

Ananda said...

sistalove tyou for posting this response. you made a series of great points. peace, ananda